Join us on an adventure of a lifetime to sight the mysterious denizen of the Himalayas-the snow leopard!
This expedition will last for nine days and take you across the rugged Hemis National Park in search of the mysterious snow leopard.
The expedition will be organised from 09-17 February 2019. Maximum group size is limited to 10. Minimum group size needed for the expedition to take place will be 6.
Book by Dec 31 to avail the special early bird offer price.
Reach Leh and stay at hotel for acclimatisation
Leh is at an altitude of over 3500m above sea level. We need to acclimatise to the high altitude and less oxygen in the air for the first two days before starting our onward journey.
Leave for the base camp at Hemis National Park.
We will drive down to Zingchen, just before our base camp at Husing, and from there it should be approximately a one hour walk to base camp. The base camp is close to the Rumbak Valley, where the sightings of snow leopard are quite common.
Stay at the base camp and go trekking and looking for the snow leopard. We will leave early morning post breakfast and start walking towards vantage points in different directions from the camps. The guides there will be on the lookout for the big cat, and if any movement or sighting happens, they will inform all of us who are in close proximity and point out the snow leopard’s whereabouts. In case we end up spending a lot of time in a particular region during the day, our cooks and porters will get us our breakfast/lunch and tea to the vantage point that we are at. During these treks, you will come across the other fauna of the region: blue sheep, chukar, red fox, great tit, magpie, robin accentor and golden eagle to name a few.
We pack our bags after the morning lookout and leave for Leh and stay in Leh for the night.
– Accommodation on sharing basis as per the itinerary
– All three meals at all places part of the itinerary and two times tea/coffee during camping
– Airport transfers by non AC vehicle on sharing basis as per the itinerary
– Inner line permits and National Park/Wildlife Sanctuary Permits, (if there is any rise in the entry fee, it will be communicated to the participant and added to the trip cost)
– Services of local tour escort and wildlife biologist throughout the trip
– Air fare to/from Leh
– Rental of field/winter gear like sleeping bag, winter jacket, trekking shoes, oxygen cylinder, binocular, personal porter or pony. We can facilitate this through our representative, if needed.
– Any sightseeing/excursion which is not mentioned in the itinerary.
– Expenses of a personal nature viz, tips, room service, laundry, mineral water, alcoholic/non alcoholic beverages, phone calls, pony/ horse rides, rafting, cable car/ropeway rides, heli rides etc.
– Still or video camera fees
– Any increase in fuel cost, government taxes, entrance fees, intra and interstate taxes etc. the tour price will be amended in accordance and the participant will need to pay the increased costs.
– Travel insurance
– Supplemental charges applicable for long weekends, strikes and festivals and any unforeseen expenses beyond our control.
– It is mandatory to carry a valid photo identity card (Passport/Driving License/Voter Card/Aadhar Card)
– Rental of field/winter gear is subject to stock and size availability. We cannot guarantee availability of the same.
– For foreign nationals, we don’t facilitate arrangement of any visa or permits except the inner line/ national park/sanctuary permits needed for this trip
Field/ Snow pants/ trousers
Thicker socks (wool)
Multi-tool or pocket knife Headlamp
Sunscreen and Skin lotion (skin dries out fast)
Sunglasses – preferably polarised
Water bottle (1 liter)
First aid kit (small, personal– band-aids, antibiotic ointment, anti-diarrheal, ibuprofen etc.)
Backpack (ca 30 liter)
Personal medication (if needed)
Notebook and pen/pencil (for personal use)
Additonal batteries for camera
Power bars, candy, dry fruits, chocolates
‘Participant’ refers to anyone booking a seat for a trip by paying the required amount in full. ‘Organiser(s)’ refers to the organisers of the trips and its logistics. ‘Trip’ refers to the trip and its details.
1. The Participant has read the trip details and understands and accepts the details relevant to the trip in the calendar.
2. During multiple accommodation facilities at the camp site, Participant must adjust to the facilities provided and no separate accommodation will be provided. The organisers will decide the allotments and sharing arrangements, if any, and no alterations will be allowed.
3. The Participant shall not act in any way, which directly or indirectly causes irritation, injury or harm to any wild animal, bird or its habitat.
4. The Participant accepts that the trip is subject to change and the organisers have the sole right to change the trip. The organisers will inform the Participant of such change(s) as soon as its feasible to intimate the participants. The organisers reserve the right to cancel or abort the trip as a whole or in part due to lack of Participants or Force Majeure i.e. war, threat of war, riots, civil strife, political events, terrorist activity, health epidemics, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather, fire, flight cancellations/trip changes, bus or train cancellation/schedule changes, road blocks, landslides, vehicle breakdowns, including, but not limited to any reasons beyond the reasonable control of the organisers. If an alternative tour is not possible, trip fee which the Participant has paid will be refunded after deducting cancellation charges as per cancellation policy below. Any and all loss or liabilities incurred due to such cancellation by the Participant shall be to his/her own account and the organisers cannot be held responsible or liable for the same.
5. The Participant is solely responsible for his/her luggage and belongings during the entire trip and the organisers cannot be held liable for the loss or damage of such luggage and belongings.
6. A Participant applying for an Indian visa is solely responsible for the application and any cost or damages arising out of a refusal of visa by the Indian Embassy/Consulate shall be borne by the Participant.
7. The Participant shall not carry, consume or possess in any manner whatsoever alcohol, drugs or intoxicants of any kind during the trip.
8. The Participant shall not carry any inflammable item or music system, walkman etc. or wear bright or fluorescent colour in the wilderness area.
9. The Participant is required to carry his/her own comfortable walking shoes, water bottles, cap, torch, mosquito repellents and any other essentials, including medicines that he/she may need.
10. Given the harsh terrain, high altitudes and inclement weather that can be encountered during the trip, every Participant will need to be fit and furnish a medical certificate stating the same. The organisers will not be responsible for any medical complications that a Participant may suffer during the trip. All medical expenses arising out of such complications will have to be borne by the Participant.
11. Every group shall have a group leader and the Participant shall strictly follow the instructions given to him/her by such group leader.
12. The Participant agrees to abide by all rules and regulations of the camp in which the Participant is placed.
13. If at any time the Participant is in breach of these Terms and Conditions or is found misbehaving or causing harm to another Participant, he/she will be required to leave camp immediately, shall forfeit the trip fee and will be responsible for his/ her own costs and for any costs/liability incurred by the organisers.
14. This arrangement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of India and the courts in New Delhi shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
15. The Participant indemnifies and undertakes to keep the organisers indemnified from and against all expenses, damages, loss, legal fee and expenses and proceedings, incurred and/or suffered by the organisers and arising out of any dispute relating to booking, payment or travel or otherwise, arising out of this agreement.
All cancellations after booking must be communicated to the organizers in writing by the Participant immediately. Cancellation charges will be levied and deducted at source from booking fee paid as follows:
a) Upto 31 days before departure – 10%
b) 16 – 30 days before departure – 25%
c) 15 – 7 days before departure – 60%
d) Upto 3 days before departure – 100%
You can click the ‘Book Now’ button above to pay by Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Please note that the payment through Paypal will be in USD.
Alternatively, if you prefer to pay through a bank transfer or are making a payment from within India (in Indian rupees), you can pay us via a bank transfer. For this, click on Book Now button, just fill out your details and click on ‘Book by Email’ and we will revert with our Indian bank account details.
Please note that all payments from outside India will need to paid in USD or equivalent in Euro or Pound, whether they are made through Paypal or via bank transfer.
By booking a seat for the expedition, a Participant agrees to abide by all the terms & conditions, cancellation policy and payment modes of the trip as detailed above.