Join us on a once in a lifetime adventure to sight the mysterious denizen of the Himalayas: the snow leopard!
This expedition will last for nine days and take you across the rugged Hemis National Park in search of the mysterious snow leopard.
The expedition will be organised from 4-12 February 2017 (9 days/8 nights). Maximum group size is limited to 10. Minimum group size needed for the expedition to take place will be 6. Cost is all inclusive from Leh to Leh per head. Cost of travel to and from Leh is not included in the expedition cost.
- Possibility to sight a snow leopard
- Spectacular landscapes
- Camping in a snow leopard landscape
Reach Leh and stay at hotel for acclimatisation
Leh is at an altitude of over 3500m above sea level. We need to acclimatise to the high altitude and less oxygen in the air for the first two days before starting our onward journey.
Leave for the base camp at Hemis National Park.
We will drive down to Zingchen, just before our base camp at Husing, and from there it should be approximately a one to two hours walk to base camp, depending on weather conditions.
Stay at the base camp and go trekking and looking for the snow leopard. We will leave early morning post breakfast and start walking towards vantage points in different directions from the camps. The guides there will be on the lookout for the big cat, and if any movement or sighting happens, they will inform all of us who are in close proximity and point out the snow leopard’s whereabouts. In case we end up spending a lot of time in a particular region during the day, our cooks and porters will get us our breakfast/lunch and tea to the vantage point that we are at. During these treks, you will come across the other fauna of the region: blue sheep, chukar, red fox, great tit, magpie, robin accentor and golden eagle to name a few.
We pack our bags after the morning lookout and leave for Leh and stay in Leh for the night.
The following is a list of recommended things that you will need for this trip. Don’t have any of these? Don’t panic! We’ve got you covered by identifying the best quality items that you can conveniently shop online. You can simply buy any of the items below, where available, through its corresponding store link. Please note that on this trip you may face temperatures of up to -25 degrees centigrade.
Full disclosure: we will earn a small commission from some of the products below that are available through Amazon if you buy them through the links below.
Disclaimer: While we have taken care to identify the most appropriate and quality products to buy, we cannot offer any guarantee for the functioning/quality/appropriateness of the same. Please exercise due caution and check that the product fits your individual needs and requirements for the trip. If you face any issues, please take it up with the store/seller/manufacturer directly.
Wind Stopper Gloves
Multi-tool or pocket knife
Warm Top (For Men)
Warm Top (For Women)
Sunscreen/Skin Lotion (skin dries out fast at high altitudes!)
Water Bottle (1 liter)
First Aid Kit
Backpack (30 lts)
Personal medication (anti-diarrheal, ibuprofen etc. if needed)
Notebook and pen/pencil (for personal use)
Trekking Shoes (For Men)
Trekking Shoes (For Women)
Power bars, candy, dry fruits, chocolates
Accommodation on sharing basis as per the itinerary
All three meals at all places part of the itinerary and two times tea/coffee during camping
Airport transfers by non AC vehicle on sharing basis as per the itinerary
Inner line permits and National Park/Wildlife Sanctuary permits (if there is any rise in the entry fee, it will be communicated to the participant and charged as per the government rates)
Services of local tour escort and wildlife biologist throughout the trip
Rental of field or winter gear like sleeping bag, winter jacket, trekking shoes, oxygen cylinder, binocular, personal porter or pony. We can facilitate this through our representative, if needed.
Any sightseeing/excursion which is not mentioned in the itinerary.
Expenses of a personal nature viz, tips, room service, laundry, mineral water, alcoholic or non alcoholic beverages, phone calls, pony/horse rides, rafting, cable car/ropeway rides, helicopter rides etc.
Still or video camera fees
Any increase in fuel cost, government taxes, entrance fees, intra and interstate taxes etc. The tour price will be amended in accordance and the participant will need to pay the increased costs.
Supplemental charges applicable for long weekends, strikes and festivals and any unforeseen expenses beyond our control.
It is mandatory to carry a valid photo identity card (Passport/Driving License/Voter ID card/Aadhar Card)
Rental of field/winter gear is subject to stock and size availability. We cannot guarantee availability of the same.
For foreign nationals, we don’t facilitate arrangement of any visa or permits except the inner line/national park/sanctuary permits needed for this trip.
Terms & Conditions
‘Participant’ refers to anyone booking a seat for a trip by paying the required amount in full. ‘Organiser(s)’ refers to the organisers of the trips and its logistics. ‘Trip’ refers to the trip and its details.
1. The Participant has read the trip details and understands and accepts the details relevant to the trip in the calendar.
2. During multiple accommodation facilities at the camp site, Participant must adjust to the facilities provided and no separate accommodation will be provided. The organisers will decide the allotments and sharing arrangements, if any, and no alterations will be allowed.
3. The Participant shall not act in any way, which directly or indirectly causes irritation, injury or harm to any wild animal, bird or its habitat.
4. The Participant accepts that the trip is subject to change and the organisers have the sole right to change the trip. The organisers will inform the Participant of such change(s) as soon as its feasible to intimate the participants. The organisers reserve the right to cancel or abort the trip as a whole or in part due to lack of Participants or Force Majeure i.e. war, threat of war, riots, civil strife, political events, terrorist activity, health epidemics, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather, fire, flight cancellations/trip changes, bus or train cancellation/schedule changes, road blocks, landslides, vehicle breakdowns, including, but not limited to any reasons beyond the reasonable control of the organisers. If an alternative tour is not possible, trip fee which the Participant has paid will be refunded after deducting cancellation charges as per cancellation policy below. Any and all loss or liabilities incurred due to such cancellation by the Participant shall be to his/her own account and the organisers cannot be held responsible or liable for the same.
5. The Participant is solely responsible for his/her luggage and belongings during the entire trip and the organisers cannot be held liable for the loss or damage of such luggage and belongings.
6. A Participant applying for an Indian visa is solely responsible for the application and any cost or damages arising out of a refusal of visa by the Indian Embassy/Consulate shall be borne by the Participant.
7. The Participant shall not carry, consume or possess in any manner whatsoever alcohol, drugs or intoxicants of any kind during the trip.
8. The Participant shall not carry any inflammable item or music system, walkman etc. or wear bright or fluorescent colour in the wilderness area.
9. The Participant is required to carry his/her own comfortable walking shoes, water bottles, cap, torch, mosquito repellents and any other essentials, including medicines that he/she may need.
10. Given the harsh terrain, high altitudes and inclement weather that can be encountered during the trip, every Participant will need to be fit and furnish a medical certificate stating the same. The organisers will not be responsible for any medical complications that a Participant may suffer during the trip. All medical expenses arising out of such complications will have to be borne by the Participant. Participants aged between 15-18 yrs will also need to furnish a signed consent form from their parents/legal guardians.
11. Every group shall have a group leader and the Participant shall strictly follow the instructions given to him/her by such group leader.
12. The Participant agrees to abide by all rules and regulations of the camp in which the Participant is placed.
13. If at any time the Participant is in breach of these Terms and Conditions or is found misbehaving or causing harm to another Participant, he/she will be required to leave camp immediately, shall forfeit the trip fee and will be responsible for his/ her own costs and for any costs/liability incurred by the organisers.
14. This arrangement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of India and the courts in New Delhi shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
15. The Participant indemnifies and undertakes to keep the organisers indemnified from and against all expenses, damages, loss, legal fee and expenses and proceedings, incurred and/or suffered by the organisers and arising out of any dispute relating to booking, payment or travel or otherwise, arising out of this agreement.
You can click the ‘Book Now’ button above to pay by the following methods:
1. Paypal, which accepts all major credit/debit cards. Please note that the payment through Paypal will be in US dollars and will attract a transaction charge.
2. By an international bank transfer in US dollars or for transfers from within India in Indian rupees. For this, choose to pay by Direct Transfer and transfer the required amount (in US dollars if you are transferring from outside India or in Indian rupees if you are transferring from within India) to our Indian bank account. Details of our bank account will be shared once you make your booking. Your booking will be confirmed only on receipt of funds in our account.
By booking a seat for the expedition, a Participant agrees to abide by all the terms & conditions, cancellation policy and payment modes of the trip as detailed above.